In South Lanarkshire, VASLan supports, promotes and administers the Saltire Awards - volunteering awards for young people between the ages of 12 and 25.
There are four categories to the Saltire Awards:
- Challenge Award: For those who volunteer in a one-off team event
- Approach Award: For those who have committed at least 10 or 25 hours to volunteering, whether at school, in the community or as part of a group.
- Ascent Award: For those who have volunteered for 50, 100, 200 or 500 hours of volunteering
- Summit Award: A nominated award recognising an outstanding contribution to volunteering
Young people can register for Saltire Awards, keep a note of their voulunteering and request their certificates on the Saltire Awards website.
Young people who have achieved a 200 hour Ascent Award are eligible to become a Saltire Ambassador. The role of an ambassador is to:
- Represent the Saltire Awards and youth volunteering at a local level
- Promote the Awards and inspire other young people to get involved
- Contribute to the development of the Saltire Awards
- Participate in decision-making, e.g. as a summit panel member
Your tasks may involve:
- Promotional events, workshops and presentations
- Helping to organise Saltire “challenge” events
- Publicity and communications e.g. website, Facebook and Twitter
- Helping to organise award ceremonies and prepare certificates
- Compiling case studies and image banks
- Being a member of the Summit Panel
If you are interested, or your organisation has a volunteer who you feel would be perfect for the role, please contact VASLan’s Tina Cameron on 01698 300 390 or email email@example.com.