What is Social Enterprise?
Social Enterprise like any other type of business generates profit, however, unlike other businesses Social Enterprises reinvest their profits into the Social or Environmental aims of the organisation.
VASLan Social Enterprise Support
As part of VASLan’s remit to support the Third Sector of South Lanarkshire we are tasked, as one of our four key strands, to support the Social Enterprise Community of South Lanarkshire. This is carried out via a number of activities and services that VASLan provide.
VASLan’s Social Enterprise team can provide support for all aspects of Social Enterprise start up and development. Supporting existing Social Enterprises and Social Businesses to smaller Voluntary Organisations looking to develop innovative ways to sustain their activities and services. The Social Enterprise Team can provide support to meet the needs of groups individually.
Support is available to anyone who may be looking for guidance or advice on issues such as:
- Guidance in identifying aims, outcomes and needs, of your organisation
- Guidance on writing a constitution or governing document
- Guidance on legal structures and support in identifying a legal structure for your organisation
- Supporting applications for Charitable status
- Guidance and templates for Policies and Procedures (e.g. PVG, Volunteers, Equalities)
- Project and Business Planning advice, plan templates and guidance
- Guidance in planning for the development of trading or development of sustainable income streams
- Support in identifying potential funding opportunities and advice on writing applications and checking them prior to submission
- Advice on carrying out monitoring and evaluation
- Signposting to relevant training opportunities in the VASLan training calendar
- Signposting and connecting Social Enterprises to other relevant support agencies that can provide support and advice in social enterprise start up and growth
- Providing networking opportunities for organisations to meet, learn from each other and potentially develop working relationships
For more information on Social Enterprise Start up and development please see the VASLan Resource Kit.